Wednesday, February 14, 2007

St. Valentine

Not much is truly known about this martyr of the early church, other than his name. It is suspected that he was a Priest in Rome who assisted the Christians under the persecution of Cladius II. It is said that he was eventually apprehended by the authorities and sent to the prefect of Rome. When they finally realized that they could do nothing to make him deny his faith in Christ, he was ordered to be beaten with clubs and then beheaded somewhere around the 14th of February, AD 270.

A lot has changed since St. Valentine was beheaded. Don't tell my wife this, but I've never really liked this holiday, at least in the way that we tend to celebrate it these days. I mean there is nothing wrong with expressing your love toward that special someone, maybe I'm just jaded by all of the disappointing Valentine's of the past - I wasn't always the stud I am today (sarcasm doesn't translate well on the Internet). But, I now realize that there is something much deeper to this day than simply candy, flowers, and cards.

It is a day to remember love, but not the shallow and often self-centered emotionalism that many call "love" today. Rather, it is a day to remember the kind of love displayed by St. Valentine himself...as Jesus says, "Greater love has no man than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends." It is a day that we should reflect on the self-giving love of God, that we come to experience and express only as we walk in relationship with Him. I'm not telling you not to buy candy, flowers, or a card for your loved one - I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble - but in addition to that, reflect on what it would mean to love that person with the love of God. Maybe Valentine's Day can be redeemed. Blessings ~ RLS

No comments: