Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Spirit Fragrance

I was somewhat annoyed that I had to get out of bed at an ungodly hour this morning. I've not been a "morning person" since the late nights of Seminary studying, while keeping an evening job. On top of all that my neck was sore this morning from jumping on a trampoline during a backyard Memorial Day BBQ. Can I really be getting to that age where I wake up sore from playing around the night before? The annoyance wore off much quicker than the pain in my neck, after Scripture reading, prayer, and some coffee I was ready to go for the day.

I got up early for a reason. We delivered gift bags to all of the teachers at one of our local elementary schools before the teachers arrived for the day. It is a school that has a high turnover rate, a wonderful sense of diversity, but the teachers face all kinds of challenges. We simply wanted them to know that they are appreciated and their service doesn't go unnoticed. We've already received an email from one of the teachers this morning thanking us for our generosity. We don't do it to get "thank you's" but it does feel good to know that you made someone else's day.

We just celebrated Pentecost...and Hans Kung got me thinking this morning about the activity of the Spirit. He says, "The Spirit works where he wills. The Spirit of God cannot be restricted in his operation by the Church...The power of the Spirit of God can pass through all walls, even church walls...At the same time, God's Spirit does not blow when he must, but only when he wills. No decrees of the Church, in doctrine or practice, can force him to act or not to act at a given time. True, God is absolutely free, and is thus free even with regard to his freedom."

Sara and I went for a walk this morning after getting home from delivering the gift bags - we're trying to develop better habits. There is one part of our walk that we both deeply enjoy...as we pass one of our neighbors homes that has a number of vibrant rose bushes growing near the road. The fragrance alone is enough to wake you up and make you smile - now I know where the phrase, "stop, and smell the roses" comes from. I hear that the olfactory sense is closely connected with our memory - smells can trigger memories like nothing else. Smells can make us smile or make us sick...they have a powerful affect on our feelings and emotions.

I think that when the Spirit blows we smell it...it's kind of like our walk this morning, you're just going about your every day business and all of the sudden you smell the Spirit and you're awakened to a presence that's been there all along. I also think we're called to mediate that smell to others...they should smell the Spirit all over us as we are bearers of God's presence. I believe that smelling the Spirit enables us to remember - it is a sacramental sense. Our role is not to tell the Spirit what, when, and how, but rather to receive the Giving Gift, to re-member, and to share the aroma of Christ daily. I wonder, what do you smell like today?

"Dear Lord, let me preach thee without preaching, not by words but by my example, by the catching force, the sympathetic influence of what I do, the evident fullness of the love my heart bears to thee. Amen." ~ Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time you shouldn't try all the flippies and you wouldn't be as sore...