Sunday, November 25, 2007

More Valuable

My wife is a recent University of Kansas graduate. She finished up her Master of Social Work degree last May. There is no way that I could have believed then that they would be vying for the No. 1 spot in NCAA division I football this weekend.

I thought, "Well, even though I'm an OU fan at heart, since I'm a good old Oklahoma boy, I could at least root for KU in this game." Unfortunately, they didn't show up to play and MU ran all over them. The final score was pretty close, but it was MU's game all the way. I guess it is better that they lost this game because there is no way that I could have cheered for them next week anyway.

They may not win a national trophy this year, but this Jayhawk is holding something much more valuable to me. My wife thought it would be fun to share our good news this way. Though I can assure you that I may allow this child to be a KU basketball fan...but when football season rolls around it is crimson and cream all the way.

My wife's 16th week of pregnancy was Thanksgiving Day. We are excited and nervous and totally unprepared. But we both knew what we were most thankful for on Thursday. What a wonderful gift.

I'm not one of those who thinks they've got it all figured out. So if any of you seasoned veterans want to give some sound parenting advice, I would love to hear it. Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

4 comments:

David Brush said...

Congratulations friend! I have been a father myself for right at 2.5 years now. Parenting is one of the most painfully-fun things! (how's that for an oxymoron?) Make the most of your freedom over the next 24 weeks, because everything is going to change!

Richard said...

Thanks, David. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Richard! And congrats on blogging for one year!

Go Sooners!

Monty

Richard said...

Thanks Monty. It's going to be an exciting journey.

And you're right on...Go Sooners!!