Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back in the Big OKC

Sara and I began a journey over five years ago that has come full circle. While we were students at Southern Nazarene University, we began working with an urban church plant called New Life Community. I served as their youth pastor for about three years and then when the planting pastor left, I filled in as interim for a time. We left for Kansas City about five years ago that I might attend Seminary - we had a sense then that God would call us back to this unique ministry.

New Life Community partners with an amazing compassionate ministry called Reaching Our City (ROC), which offers numerous services to this community. We feel blessed to be a part of this powerful compassionate movement.

Standing back and observing all that has happened to bring us back to this place, I can only say that it is nothing short of providential. We moved late last Thursday - driving all night with a caravan of vehicles, a six week old baby, and three cats that we might be here to close on our house early Friday morning - then unpacking, preaching Sunday and getting things in order all week... well, I'll just say we've gone through some refining heat over the last few weeks. I don't have time to go into all the details, but I'll post more as we get settled in. You can also check out some info on the church at www.okcnewlife.com

These are just a few of the kids that we are reaching in the community. You can check out more about ROC at their website www.reachingourcity.org Until next time ~ Blessings in Christ!

3 comments:

Donnie Miller said...

Wow, I didn't realize you were moving to OKC. Sounds like you had quite the weekend.
God bless you in this ministry; sounds like it's a great place and opportunity.

Richard said...

Thanks... we feel extremely blessed even if we had to go through some stress to get here. I hope things continue to go well for you guys in Gardner. I'm sure we've all got a lot of work to do.

David A. Todd said...

Richard:

All the best to you in your old new location, or is it your new old location? I'm confused.