Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ark Almighty

The movie isn't out yet so we have to wait to see how the modern day Noah story is portrayed. It is interesting to me how the biblical narrative is still deeply ingrained in our collective conscience - even though we live in a generally biblically illiterate society. One illustration of this - as Leno was interviewing Wanda Sykes about her role in this movie he called the main character in the story Moses and even though it was probably an accident, no one corrected him. I wonder how many people actually noticed the mistake. Kind of ironic that he makes fun of people for not knowing similar things in his "Jay Walking" bit. Reminds me of a Campolo story, but I'll save it for another day. At least the movie makers recognized the inherent comedy in the story of Noah's Ark that we often overlook or ignore.

Anyway, a friend shared this new site with me that is a online board for posting needs within your congregation - the idea is to pair the needs with someone who might be able to meet those specific needs. Check it out http://www.arkalmighty.com/ The interesting thing is that John Goodman is their spokes person (I didn't even know that Goodman was a Christian) and then there are advertisements for the Evan Almighty all over the place. It seems like a good resource...would you use it in your church? And do these things indicate any general shifts in our society? If you go to see the movie, let me know what you think about it. Until next time - Blessings ~ RLS

N.B. I just noticed that Mike King was invited along with other KC area pastors to preview the movie early and he gave it a pretty high review on his blog: Evan Almighty Review

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to see this movie. Interesting, thanks for the links.