Sunday, September 16, 2007

Robert Jenson

The renowned theologian Robert Jenson will be coming to NTS October 9-11 to offer the Grider-Winget Lectures in theology. Not only is he a well known theologian these days, but he also advised the PhD work of an influential theologian in my own thinking, Colin E. Gunton. Jenson has a deep understanding of Christian doctrine and history and his unique articulation has fostered promising ecumenical dialogue. If you don't know anything about Jenson there are a couple of brief but informative articles here and here.

I've decided to take this opportunity to finally pull Jenson's two volume Systematic Theology off my bookshelf for a bit of exploration. Though I was familiar with his name and aspects of his theological articulation, I didn't have the opportunity to investigate his writing in any depth during my time at Seminary. However, the rigors of life in ministry and other necessary reading has distracted me from giving concentrated, prayerful attention to this important work. I'm hoping to compete both volumes before the lectures, but that may be wishful thinking.

I know that there may be a few people who read this blog (that may also be wishful thinking) and are much more familiar with Jenson than I am, but wouldn't be able to make it to the lectures for one reason or another. I thought I would give you the opportunity to live vicariously through me, but only in this instance, mind you. If you have a question that you've always wanted to ask Jenson but you've never been able to meet him - feel free to post it here and I'll try to find an opportunity to ask your questions and then I'll blog the results. Of course, if it is an inane or ridiculous question then I probably won't ask it...but using moderate discretion I'll try to bring results to the top questions...if you have any. Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

No comments: