Monday, July 21, 2008

Super Pastor?

It seems that standing in front of people to preach the Word on a regular basis gives some folks the impression that one might have superpowers. I suppose that could be because we talk about things that are often beyond our ordinary everyday experiences or it could be our insights into a foreign world. To be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure where the idea comes from but there are many who perpetuate the myth that pastors are super human.

Please, for the sake of all that is holy in the nerds fantasy world, stop! It is such a destructive and counterproductive ideal.

Contrary to popular belief, all the pastor's that I have met have been of the human variety. I should know, because I am one and many of my friends, acquaintances and enemies are also pastors. If I ever come across one that is from another world I'll let you know. I've had my suspicions from time to time but upon further investigation they turned out to be your garden variety earthling.

You see, the reality is that I've never felt more human than the moment that I became a lead pastor... I've never noticed my finite limitations and boundaries more... and those limits are constantly stretched and tested partly because of the "super pastor" myth. Oh, and believe me, I know that pastors perpetuate this myth as much or more than our parishioners... they are often more than aware of our limitations than we are. There is a bit of an ego boost involved in thinking that we are somehow special, chosen, that we are super... and maybe just a little better than the rest of our race. Unfortunately or fortunately, I know the truth about myself so I've never been able to believe that myth.

Yet for some reason I try to live up to the mythic expectations of others. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is simply the desire to please others... maybe the drive to succeed... wherever it comes from, I know it is not a good thing. I've only been doing this lead pastor thing for a short time but I already sense the super pastor pressures and know that they will ultimately lead to fatigue, burn out, and a joyless, bitter ministry that bears little to no fruit. Lord save me from myself.

Don't get me wrong... I serve a wonderful and unique congregation where most people understand human limitation. I feel very fulfilled in ministry here. But there is always that possibility of becoming a quivering mass of availability - a result of ignoring our limitations... believing that we can somehow fix every problem and touch every need, while maintaining a healthy marriage and family life. What a crock.

I've decided that I'm not going to try to be a super pastor... but that it is okay to simply try to be a faithful Christ-follower, a good husband, a good father and a good pastor. That is what success looks like to me. Now... could you let the others know? I would appreciate it.

Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

No comments: