Thursday, July 12, 2007

Criticism & The Kingdom

We live in a critical society. There's no denying it. All one has to do is look at one of the most popular American television shows - American Idol not to mention all the spin-offs. The show is all about judgment and criticism. Even if the most critical judge is British...it is evident that we love to measure, compare, judge and criticize. It's a part of human nature.

I've been wondering lately, is there any room for criticism in the Kingdom? There is certainly admonition in Scripture that we correct, rebuke and hold each other accountable to a Kingdom way of life. But, is that the same as criticism? Is there a difference between a critical spirit or judgment and correction or accountability? If so, what constitutes the difference? And, what about the prophetic voice? Where does it fit into the life of the Body?

I have a few thoughts on the matter, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Richard I came to read your post after I wrote a pretty scathing criticism of Pope Benedict XVI. Now, I have to ponder this a bit. I will be back on this topic!

Richard said...

I just copied my initial comment to your post...to bring people up to speed (you're getting some interesting new commenters with this dialogue):

Monty - I don't find this too scathing. In my post I wasn't denying that criticism has been and is a part of the church and it is evident that Jesus has some scathing things to say to the established religious authorities (Paul was certainly scathing at times, especially against the judaizers). I guess I'm really asking: "Is there a difference between the prophetic voice and a spirit of criticism?"

I think our anti-authoritarian and individualistic tendencies elicits a spirit of critism that goes under the gise of freedom, justice, and dare we say, prophecy (in the Biblical sense). Correction, rebuke, and the prophetic voice are all important aspects of our narrative and way of life - but these appropriate expressions happen in a relational context where our telos is Christ and the Kingdom.

I guess for me the difference between a destructive spirit of criticism and genuine accountability is relational and teleological. But I'm still trying to work it out - it is a fine line to stand on and not particularly a popular subject within the Western Protestant tradition. Any thoughts that might help me clarify this further would be appreciated. Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

Anonymous said...

Your right it's a tight line, it has to be wayed against your goals and intentions for a start. Also it can not be behind the back or in gossip style. It needs to be directed at the person with a the proper attitude, nor insulting. I think that's the difference, but I realize even Christ insulted the Pharisees.... so hummm good question that in the end I don't know how to help you with