Friday, February 29, 2008

Discipline

My most recent reflections have revolved around the idea of discipline. There are probably many reasons for this. It certainly seems a reasonable topic of reflection in the middle of Lent. Yet, in reflecting it has been revealed that I have tended to understand discipline in the negative sense. Growing up it wasn't something that one would look forward to or seek out because it usually referred in one way or another to the reddening of one's backside. I learned to avoid discipline.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not questioning the wisdom of the rod. If used appropriately there does seem to be some benefit in getting our tush switched from time to time. But, I'm coming to understand that that is not really what discipline infers. It comes from the Latin word disciplina meaning instruction, knowledge, training. And the root of disciplina is discere meaning to learn, which is where we also get our words discernment and discretion. Etymology tends to be enlightening for me. You see, this is also the root from which we get the word disciple.

I'm certain that discipline involves pain - that was the truth passed down to me in the wisdom of the rod. Yes, it involves pain because discipleship involves pain - denying ourselves...taking up crosses...following a crucified leader. But, what I missed in those early lessons was that discipline also results in joy, peace, grace, and fullness. The pain makes space to indwell...it makes room to experience and to live.

This whole Lenten journey is a difficult one. I'm attempting to be faithful and stay on the path, but as we get closer and closer to the cross I want to turn away...to go a different direction...to find another leader. Sometimes I can't see beyond the cross. It seems as if the road ends there. Of course, I know in my heart of hearts that it is there that death meets new life and defeat becomes victory, but everything else in my beings fights against real reality. I need discipline.

I'll be a father soon. One thinks of discipline in completely new ways when confronted with fatherhood. It looks different on the giving rather than the receiving end. But, I'm convinced that discipline cannot be an end in itself (though it can still happen on our ends, so to speak) - it is a means to achieving the goals of wisdom, discernment and knowledge. It is a tool used to shape and mold our being and action. For we are creatures that require habiting (also an interesting word to explore).

Too often I observe parents who discipline (or don't discipline) for their own sake and not for the sake of their children. And, it seems that discipline, as many other things in this culture, is treated as an end in itself, rather than a tool used to guide and train a child into a life of wisdom. Of course, it could also mean that we no long strive after a life of wisdom...that this is simply not a goal for many these days. The pursuit of "life, liberty, and happiness" (typically meaning acquisition of wealth, fame or choice) seem to rule our collective desires. Maybe I'm wrong to move against the grain of our culture, but it seems to me that there are deeper things to pursue - the deepest being Wisdom. It also seems to me that the life lived in pursuit of wisdom will experience true life, real liberty and genuine happiness - or that which is deeper and more sustaining than "happiness"; joy.

The life in pursuit of Wisdom is also a life lived as a follower of Jesus. He is the embodiment of all Wisdom. To gain wisdom requires discipline - because it requires us to be disciples who become discerning about reality. That is my hope for my life and for my son. May I learn true discipline from Him that I may guide my son into a life of wisdom. Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

2 comments:

David A. Todd said...

I think Christ calls us to go against the grain of society. Otherwise, how would anyone know we are Christians?

Discipline is certainly a strength I lack. My discipline moves on a pendulum swing from good to bad. One could hope it would cease to move all together, but what might that me? The clock stops? No, better to let it swing to the good side, the side of Christ and all he want from us and for us, and then somehow, through God's help, cause it to be held out there, fighting both gravity and the mechanism that seeks to pull it back down. Oooh, I like that metaphor!

Richard said...

For the record...I like that metaphor too. Thanks for sharing it.