Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tears of an Inflatable Clown

I grew up in Western Oklahoma about 15 minutes from the Texas panhandle. Oklahoma comes from a Choctaw phrase that literally means red people. I suppose that could have more than one implication these days.

This is a land of real folk...tough people. The Anglo settlers of this territory lived in dung huts. They worked hard to scratch out a living. These people have endured hardships and loss, dust bowls and droughts. All of which, I believe contribute to a unique character and outlook - an earthiness that's as red and hard as the iron soil.

It is my own red desert. My roots. I'm only saying this to give you some indication of why I like King of the Hill so much...in many funny ways, it reminds me of home.

I came across this wonderful episode that I just had to share. In it Bobby is attempting to organize a carnival to break some of the monotony and boredom of daily life. In the process, though, someone comes from the district to try and teach the children about diversity, especially emphasizing horrific acts of prejudice and oppression throughout history. His goal is to help the children understand their participation in this history. Now there is something to be said for understanding our role in systemic brokenness and violence, but these school children have difficulty processing it all - as I think most of us do.

Well, I guess I should just let you watch it for yourself. Though - I have to say that I already have a favorite line. There is a part where they want the entire town to feel the guilt and self-loathing of their ancestors acts of oppression and Joseph says, "Yeah, I wish that I could tape their eyes open and shove their faces into the truth." What a great line...think about it...better yet, watch the episode.

No comments: