Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Simply Christian

There isn't a better Christian scholar in our time than N. T. Wright. He has a way of eloquently articulating theological thoughts and powerful biblical images in our current linguistic forms. He brings the biblical world to bear on our world. When these worlds collide, a sense of Kingdom mission begins to emerge in the heart and life of genuine Christian communities. To me, this effect is a result of his deep rooting in the text itself, for it is the Word that gives us life and empowers us for mission.

Wright has so many great books to read and though I've only read a handful, I would encourage anyone to pick up any of his books and get to reading. Simply Christian is a great book that follows in the spirit of C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, which was influential in my early Christian formation. I've wanted to use Simply Christian in a small group study for some time. It is the kind of apologetics in which I think we should be engaged. In a lecture last year at Calvin College he summarized this work. If you haven't the time to read this short book...you can go to this link and at least listen to the lecture. There is also a lecture presented at the Washington Cathedral on the same topic, which you can watch here. I hope that it influences you in transformative ways. Enjoy!

His new book Surprised by Hope is now on my reading list. Until next time - Blessings in Christ ~ RLS

No comments: