Friday, March 14, 2008

The Princess is 1!

As we prepare our hearts for Holy Week the idea of sacrifice has been on my mind. I don't like the word sacrifice, which may sound strange coming from an evangelical pastor. Of course our focus in these days is on the sacrifice of the one John called the Lamb of God who has come to take away the sins of the world. Those of us who follow this Lamb are called to participate in His sacrifice...to experience the kind of brokenness that brings about reconciliation and renewal.

Of course, my life doesn't compare to the sacramental self-giving of Jesus. I don't sacrifice much...but as one in this journey of pastoral ministry I've found that the most difficult "sacrifice" (if we can call what we do a sacrifice at all) isn't taking a lower salary or working lots of hours or receiving little gratitude for our service (at times); no, the most difficult "sacrifice" is being separated from family.

This isn't always a necessary "sacrifice", but it is often the case...that following Christ in this pastoral journey will lead us away from our close family. The sense of this separation is not always acute...and with the many modes of communication these days it is a little easier to swallow. But there is a sense of loss, when you miss out on your brother's graduation or, as was the case for us this past week, your niece's first birthday. Getting the pictures is nice...but there is still a sense of loss that I'm not able to be much a part of my niece and nephew's life - nor will my brother and sisters be as big a part of our son's life as I'd like.

The word sacrifice actually comes from a Middle English word that literally means "to make sacred" or "to make holy". That is why I hesitate to use the word in this case...I'm not sure this separation makes anything more sacred or holy. Then again, I suppose it at least shows our willingness to follow the rebel Jesus wherever He would have us go - even if it means experiencing this separation and brokenness. I suppose it reveals, just a small glimpse (and I do mean very small) of the Kingdom that prioritizes our relationship with Him above everything else.

I don't feel any more holy...but maybe holiness isn't a feeling. Lord we will follow wherever you lead us. And, Kelsey...I'm sorry we missed your 1st birthday - I'm sure you won't hold it against us...but if we happen to miss other important days in your life...I hope you come to understand why, and can forgive us. We're committed to an all consuming call. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.