Sunday, March 4, 2007

Uncaged

Okay, so we had this gnarly lookin' dude in church today. No, he didn't just wander in off the street...and nobody, to the best of my knowledge, gave him dirty looks. In fact, he was the speaker for the day. This is David Middendorf and he heads up a powerful ministry to bikers in North Carolina called Uncaged Ministries (check out his website.)

You see, bikers call regular cars and trucks cages...because you're caged in - when your on a bike you're uncaged. You're able to experience the excitement of the journey. All the senses are heightened, you smell all the smells, good and bad, you sense the elements...you're alive...you're free! That's what happens in our journey with Christ. We're uncaged. Called to ride with Him and experience the thrill of the journey.

Dave came in to help us start a ministry to bikers in our community. Part of that begins with just riding. Getting to know the life and lingo. Building relationships with those in the biker community. And I have to confess, I think this is so cool. It's exciting. I want in on it. There's only one problem. I don't have a bike.

I've been sort of secretly wanting one for some time. You know, nothing fancy, but just something to have fun with. But every time I bring it up to Sara, she's pretty adamant that she wants me to stick around for a while. I couldn't agree with her more. I want to stick around for a while too. However, what's the point of living if there's not at least a little excitement. I think she'd actually come to love it if we got a bike.

So, I need your help. What could I do to talk my wife into letting me get a motorcycle? I've already told her that we could take a safety course together. What do you think might really help me make my case? I need all the help I can get. Blessings ~ RLS

2 comments:

David A. Todd said...

Sara as a biker babe??

Don't know if I can help with the question. Bikes are dangerous. Cousin Randy was killed on a bike when a drunk in a pickup hit him. I know of other biker deaths.

But ministry comes with risk. Not all risks are of life and limb, but they are real risks. I know you couldn't get my overstuffed hide on a bike, unless it has 10 speeds operated by a derailer.

Two thoughts:
1. Talk with cousins Paul and Trish, who bike every year with the Christian Motorcycle Association. The take a trip each year of a thousand miles or more, going on CMA missions. Ask them to come to the church on their bike.
2. Go together to some biker meetings, either CMA or secular. Get to see the need. I don't think they would throw out someone who came in a vehicle with more than two wheels. One secular one you might consider is Fayetteville, AR's Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in October. It's a ways off, but it is a mid-size event that is easy to get to.

I actually hope you don't get a bike. I'd like to keep you around for a while.

Anonymous said...

If you get one I'll get and we'll join the ministry together as the wiper snappers.

Bikers are seldem (very seldem) hit when riding in groups which is what you would be doing with the ministry.

Harley Davidson and BMW have the best safety courses out there. They are a little pricy, but you will really know what you are doing when you are done. They will let anytype of bike owner take the course, but obviously give discount to people who buy thier product.